How do you get rid of an old mattress? It’s not as easy as just leaving it on the curb for trash collection. Here are some things you need to know when you’re ready to dispose of your old mattress.
You may be tossing the mattress in a dumpster or putting it out for trash collection. But before you do, there are some things to consider:
- What is being disposed of? In most cases, this will just be an old mattress.
- Are any hazardous materials present on the material itself, like lead paint and toxic flame retardants? If so then these need to be identified first.
- Is your local landfill accepting mattresses for disposal? It’s important that you check with them about what types of mattresses they accept if not all mattresses can be accepted.
- Do I have time to take my mattress somewhere else for disposal if the answers to the above questions mean that my local landfill won’t accept mattresses?
- Is there a fee for dropping off an item at the disposal location? It’s important to know what that will cost upfront.
If you don’t have time or access to a place where your old mattress can be accepted, then here are some other options:
- Take it with you as part of your moving supplies when you move into your new home and dispose of it in the dumpster before the movers arrive. This is not recommended because some items cannot be disposed of easily (such as electronics) and they might get mixed up with other things if people see them being thrown away.
- Contact any charities that may take furniture donations such as Goodwill or Salvation Army and ask them if they take mattresses.
- Contact any of the mattress companies that you purchased from before and see if they offer a recycling or disposal program for old mattresses. Some may charge an additional fee but it could be worth it to make sure your mattress doesn’t end up as landfill trash.
A good rule of thumb is this: If there are no hazardous materials present on the material, then it’s safe enough to leave at home so long as children or pets don’t have access to them (or you can put it in a location where kids and pets won’t get into).
Otherwise, find out what options work best for disposing of your old mattress in line with federal regulations; some states restrict dumping items containing certain hazardous materials in landfills.
Don’t panic if you have an old mattress that needs to be disposed of- we’ve got your back!
If you’re looking for some help figuring out how to get rid of your old mattress, we can provide you with the information and resources necessary. We offer a variety of services depending on what type of disposal process is best suited for your needs. If you have any questions or need more information about our services, contact us today! Our team at Junk Removal Guys is here to help.