Lakewood is a city just west of Denver in Jefferson County, Colorado. First settled in the 19th century, it incorporated late into the 20th century and has been growing at an alarming rate ever since. The town was platted on July 1st 1889 by Charles Welch and W.A.H. Loveland.
Loveland, the president of the Colorado Central Railroad wanted a new place to retire. He found it west of Denver along Colfax Avenue.
Historically, wealthy Denver locals have favored the Lakewood district when looking for summer homes. The town received a major boost when it opened its first electric tramway in 1893.
This tramway was created to connect Lakewood with Denver. It was bought by the Denver Tramway Corporation and became known as “the Loop.”
Remington Arms Company was the largest federal government contract awarded in Colorado at the time. The ammunition factory still stands and is now a space for creatives to work, where all sorts of artistic endeavors are happening.
Lakewood never had a traditional downtown. West Colfax served the metropolitan area as a U.S Route and the main route from LA to Denver. So Colfax from Harlan on had lots of commercial businesses.
In addition to JCRS – a Jewish tuberculosis association, as well as the frame Methodist church and telephone exchange – by the 1950s, the neighborhood contained grocery and drug stores, gas stations, restaurants and taverns. It also had a roller rink and bowling alley.
Lakewood is the site of many government agencies – it also includes Colorado Christian University (CCU). They’re a bit more short-lived than Lakewood, founded in 1914.
There are lots of good schools in Lakewood, one of them being Red Rock Community College. If you’re into history, check out the Lakewood Heritage Center too! They also have the Cider Days Harvest Festival there which has been running for nearly 30 years
Lakewood has tons of recreation opportunities. The Green Mountain Recreation center is on the west side of Lakewood and close to William F. Hayden Green Mountain Park.
Over the last few years, Lakewood’s population has been expanding and churches have been growing along with it. St. Jude Catholic Church belongs to St. Jude Church, which was founded in 1967.
While the new Church building was under construction, Mass were held at Alameda High School’s auditorium. People called it “St. Alameda’s.”